Tour about the history of the Jewish community of St. Petersburg with the ride along city's neighbourhoods associated with its prominent representatives and visit of the Grand Choral Synagogue
It might be that some of your ancestors came from the Russian Empire and they had Jewish roots and it would be interesting to know many interesting details about the history of the Jewish population of St. Petersburg from the first days of its foundation until today. We will pass by the city districts associated with the Jewish community of the city and its prominent representatives. We will see the monumental building of Wawelberg Bank at the very beginning of the Nevsky Avenue and proceed to the Kolomna Neighborhood and its surroundings where the majority of Jewish sights are situated, such as the mansions of rich Jewish merchants Ginsburg and Polyakov, buildings of former Jewish bathhouse and private school, the famous conservatory founded by Anton Rubinstein and the Choral Synagogue. We will visit the synagogue, the main in the Russian Empire, once second only to Budapest synagogue in its size and currently the thriving centre of the religious and cultural life of the Jewish population of the city. In the end of the tour we will taste modern Jewish cuisine in one of the popular cafes on the Island of New Holland, that used to house marine docks and naval prison in the past and currently is one of the most popular recreational areas of the city. Duration 3 hours Rates 9500 RUB p/p for a private tour for 2 persons 5000 RUB p/p for a small group of 5 persons *snacks not included
Please fill in the contact form below and we will calculate the final price according to your dates, number of guests and other requirements.
licensed guide in English (for Spanish see the Spanish version of our site, for other languages please ask us) private vehicle *entrance to the synagogue is free of charge
Building of Jewish Ritual Baths and Canteen on Griboedov Canal Embankment
Mansion on Konnogvardeisky Boulevard built on the money of Jewish merchant Utin. Baron Ginzburg lived here
The building on the corner of Theatre Square and Kryukov Canal, where the first Jewish Gymnasium of the city was situated between 1906 and 1917. Many famous opera singers and ballet dancers also lived here
House of Gun - Andreev on Theatre Square 2. The editorial board of Voskhod (sunrise in Russian), the monthly Jewish periodical of the Russian Empire, was situated here between 1881 and 1906
Wawelberg Bank on Nevsky Avenue
House of Ioffe on the Five Corners Square, rebuilt to the design of A. Lishnevsky in 1913 on the money of merchant Ioffe, both Jewish. It accommodated Shapiro's car dealership and luxury shops on the first floor, the cinema on the second and several apartments on higher floors. Now it houses Bekitzer, a popular Israeli street food bar.
Photo credits Alexander Golovdinov, Nikita Velikanin, Jakob Dalbjörn, Priscilla du Preez All photos, videos and texts belong to their owners. Any use of texts, photos, elements of design and other materials from this website is posible only with the permission of owners of carusel.tours